One natural cooking specie used by the Igbo’s to help combat various forms of illness as well as a natural contraceptives used by our foremothers is ‘Uda’ also known as Negro Pepper.
The Uda spice can be used as a herbal stimulant for treating gastrointestinal problems such as stomach-ache, dysentery and abdominal discomfort.
The bark of the Negro pepper tree can be soaked in palm wine and used for treating respiratory system diseases such as bacterial pneumonia,
asthma and bronchitis.
Uda has so many health benefits,it can used as a fertility booster when cooked with other spices (UZIZA) and also can be used as a natural birth control spice.
Someone said thats contradictory” Well in Ayurveda and herbs,its being taught and practice that herbs can be for a healing purpose and can also be poisonous depending on preparation,combinations and dosage. Uda is a natural contraceptive and to some level, prevents pregnancy too.
The benefits of this amazing pepper is endless, but i want us to be specific about how this seed can be used as a natural contraceptive, and even for abortion.
Ever wondered how our mothers were able to space their children even without contraceptive pills back in the days?
It was simply because our parents consume most of the spices alot and knew their medicinal values to humans. We had no medical science then but from history we are clearly informed they live better and stronger than us today.
Uda is used as spice for flavoring foods like soups, porridge yam, stews, sauce, meat and fish etc. It can be ground or used as a whole. The seed, stem and bark of Uda can be used to prepare herbal medicine.
Negro pepper(Uda) like several other plants inhibit male and female fertility and maybe developed into natural contraceptive and for abortion (termination of pregnancy).
Benefits of Uda:
- The uda can be used as a herbal stimulant for treating gastrointestinal problems such as stomachache, dysentery and abdominal pains.
- Dried Negro peppers are usually used in folk medicine for increasing menstrual blood flow. It can also be used for treating amenorrhea, which is an abnormal absence of menstruation.
- Negro pepper can be used to relieve pain as it acts as an analgesic.
- The essential oil from Negro pepper can be used for the manufacture of cosmetics like cream, soaps, perfumes etc
- Xylopia aethiopica has anti-spirochoectal proprieties so that it works both as a preventive measure and in the treatment of primary, secondary and tertiary stages of syphilis.
- Negro pepper has anti-inflammatory properties and so can be used in the treatment of arthritis, rheumatism and other inflammatory conditions.
- Anti-malaria properties of Uda makes it a useful tool for the prevention and treatment of malaria.
- The phytochemical constituents of Negro pepper-like flavonoids make it a useful tool for the prevention and treatment of cancer.
- Uda seed is used to prepare food given to women after delivery to relieve pains, promote healing and lactation.
CAN UDA WATER CAUSE MISCARRIAGE?
Of course yes. uda have been used for time immemorial by our foremothers to induce labour and also abort unwanted pregnancies. Uda massive contractions of the uterus and can trigger pregnancy loss. That is why it is not advisable for pregnant women to taken Uda water or chew Uda seed. This woman on Facebook complained that her sister who was a few months pregnant lost had a miscarriage after taking Uda water.
How Uda water caused the miscarriage of a woman with early pregnancy
Side effects of Uda:
👉pregnant women should not take Uda since it can cause miscarriage or pregnancy loss.
👉Some use Uda to terminate pregnancies -tjis will amount to unsafe abortions
👉Uda can cause or worsen stomach ulcer
👉 Uda can lead to hair loss and itching
Uda has anti inflammatory properties, and so can be used in the treatment of arthritis, rheumatism and other inflammatory conditions.
Invariably, Negro pepper (Uda) is a remedy that treats gastric ulcer. Also effective in the treatment of ailments such as cough, flu and cold.
Other uses of Uda includes:
👉 Uda seeds helps to restore firmness to the breast
👉 Uda seeds is used to flatten the tummy
👉 Uda seeds is used to fight infections
👉Uda seeds can be used as a fertility booster.
Lolo Ijeoma Njoku reporting, Obinwannem News writer / September 13, 2021