Myanmar: Security forces shoot randomly, two dead, twenty injured

Obinwannem News Myanmar: Security forces shoot randomly, two dead, twenty injured

In more than two weeks of protests, by citizens of Myanmar, to restore “democracy”; the worst violence erupted Saturday in Myanmar’s second largest city, Mandalay. Two persons were reportedly dead; twenty injured as police shot randomly to disperse demonstrators demanding the restoration of the elected government, and the release of Suu Kyi and others.

A leader of Parahita Darhi volunteer emergency service agency in the city, KO Aung confirmed the incident, “Twenty people were injured and two were dead”.

Last week report by Obinwannem News revealed Myanmar Coup: Soldiers shoot sporadically as Suu Kyi’s detention lingers

Hundreds of police, and soldiers gathered at Yadanarbin ship yard, Mandalay, on the Irrawaddy River, Saturday. Their presence roused tension and panic among nearby residents that the authorities would try to arrest workers for taking part in the protest.

The crowds of protesters banged pots and pans, in what has become a signature gestures of defiance. Protesters started yelling at the police to leave; but, the police opened fire with live rounds, rubber bullets and slingshot balls, dispersing alarmed protesters.

At the same time, some protesters fired catapults at police, who responded with tear gas and gun fire, though it was initially not clear if they were live ammunition or rubber bullets.

A volunteer doctor confirmed there had been two deaths. He said, “One shot in the head died at the spot. Another one died later with a bullet wound on the chest.

” We do not have enough medicine for them treated here,” he said.

A medical aide to doctors who declined to provide his name for fear of repercussions, said, “We transferred those who were seriously injured and in a critical condition to another place for intensive care, but we cannot reveal the place”.

The military announced that de facto leader Aung San Suu Kyi is at a “safer place,” and in good health; whereas, Suu Kyi’s lawyer and her party, National League for Democracy (NLD) said it has not been able to make direct contact with her. Although they believed she was under arrest in her Naypyidaw residence.

Lolo Ijeoma Njoku reporting, Obinwannem News

track image