Food blockade: Northern traders maintain strike

Obinwannem News Food blockade: Northern traders maintain strike

• We won’t appeal to them – Southern leaders

The ongoing strike imposed by the Northern traders still lingers as the union insists that food stuffs would not be transported to the Southern parts of the country.

Meanwhile, the leaders from the South had waived it, stressing it would give them the opportunity to boost the capacity of food production.

Last week, Obinwannem News reported. Cattle dealers embark on strike, give cause of food restriction from North to South

Officials of some Southern States, in an interview with PUNCH, had explained actions they intend to embark upon; to ensure self-sufficiency in food and animal production.

Whereas, Ondo and Cross Rivers State went ahead distinctly, saying they would not beg the traders to end the blockade which has entered the fourth day on Monday.

Recall, on Thursday the Amalgamated Union of Food Stuffs and Cattle Dealers of Nigeria (AUFCDN) stopped supplies to the South, sequel to the “failure of the federal government to meet their demand,” which included payment of ₦475 million compensation for destruction of lives and property during the #Endsars protests and last month crisis at Shasha, Oyo State.

Trailers conveying foodstuffs to South were disrupted at Jebba-Kaduna. This prompted military intervention, but the union at a press conference in Abuja on Monday accused the military of harrasng its members; insisted that the strike should continue.

Reacting to the blockade, Southern leaders have maintained their stance “not to appeal to the Northern traders”.

Mr Akim Oluto, Senior Special Assistant to Ondo State govenor Rotimi Akeredolu’s, in an interview with journalist said, the State government was not perturbed by the development as it would make the people of the South-West involve more in agriculture.

He said, “We won’t appeal to them to bring food to the South. If they want to bring it, let them bring it; if they don’t want to bring it, let them take it away, but nobody will beg them. It is a wholesome development. It would spur our people to embrace agriculture the more, particularly at the family level”.

Commissioner for Agriculture, Delta State, Mr Julius Egbedi, said the blockage does not support Nigeria Unity, and also hinted that the State is intensifying efforts to encourage food production.

Also reacting, Commissioner for Information and Orientation, Cross Rivers, Mr Asu Okang, said that it was no use appealing to the Northern traders, saying “the blockge of food stuffs is to their detriment as they would suffer loss for unsold items. Their decision to hoard foodstuffs may lead Niger-Delta to also hoard their petrol, which will also affect them”.

Lolo Ijeoma Njoku reporting, Obinwannem News

LIVE OFFLINE
track image
Loading...