A group of Nigerian soldiers from unidentified battalion, in ‘Operation Lafiya-dole,’ were seen shooting sporadically at the Headquarters of the theater command in Borno State. launched a protest over non payment of allowances and poor equipment.
Some of the soldiers spoke under anonymity; recalled how a unit that went for reinforcement, was captured last month, perished under superior fire power of the enemy forces.
The Media Coordinator for the ‘Operation Lafiya-dole,’ Colonel Ado Isa, confirmed this to Channels Television via a text message, Friday.
But, the Director, Army Public Relations, Brigadier General Mohammed Yerima was yet to respond to a Whatsapp message sent, seeking explanation.
While blaming the protest on the soldiers, minor admin/welfare said the issues were promptly addressed.
The protest was held, in the wake of announcing the ‘controversial’ disappearance of military funds; exposed by the National Security Adviser, Babagana Monguno.
However, the outgoing, and incoming service chiefs said they were in darkness on the whereabouts of the funds and equipment.
No less than ₦1 billion was released for the procurement according to Monguno, a retired Major General.
Monguno on March 12, denied that the funds for arms procurement had gone missing under the former service chiefs.
BBC Hausa Service had earlier reported that NSA, Major General Babagana Monguno, hinted on the missing funds during an interview.
The General said, “No one knows what happened to the money, but by God’s grace, the president will investigate to find out where it went or where the goods are.”
Lolo Ijeoma Njoku reporting, Obinwannem News